Tuesday 27 November 2012

The Cage, Lyme Park

I've written before about Lyme Park. This stately home and park land was used as Pemberly in the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice in the 1990s and has been a place I played in often as achild and now regulalrly go for walks in. It was also where I saw this stag.
This tower stands in the park, not far from the house. Apparently it was originally a hunting lodge or folly where the family and guests would retire for drinks or lunch after a morning's hunting. It was also used as a lock up for poachers who were caught stealing local livestock.

 This ridge runs from the house which was behind me when I took the picture, up to the cage. It is always windy here so when I was small we'd often go and fly kites here and always ended up in a big tangle.


It a fairly daunting looking place. I wouldn't want to be looked in there for a night!

2 comments:

  1. i would like to live in such a tower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful, but I think it might be a bit lonely

      Delete