Wednesday 27 February 2013

Wednesday remembering

This is a regular post featuring an old picture of mine, usually from former travels, with a short description of the story behind the photo.

In the summer of 2006 I spent two months in the state of Tamil Nadu in south India. Most of this time was spent with these ladies here. They lived in Arulagam, a women's refuge on the outskirts of Madurai. The women had come there for many reasons, some had left abusive husbands, others had been abandoned and no way of securing income. Whatever the reason, what sticks in my memory, and the reason I chose this picture is that this was a happy place, the women here were friends with each other, they wanted to have fun and wanted me to have fun while I was there.

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I think it's wonderful that you took the time to travel and widen your perspective on the world :) I really want to travel more!!

    Rachel @ AMomentInTime.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, travelling is something I really love

    ReplyDelete