Monday 22 October 2012

Lucca

Exactly a year a go today I was in the beautiful, tiny town of Lucca in Tuscany. Last Autumn I was working as an au pair in Rome and visited Pisa and Lucca for the weekend with two other lovely au pairs, Allyson and Jordan.
I have a slight case of itchy feet at the moment, even though I spent a month in west Africa over the summer I'd still love to do another trip somewhere this year. Until thats possible I'm looking back at old pictures.
This is a bit of a photo dump really, and my camera had run out of batteries so they're mostly taken with my phone and are not the best quality.

I'd never really heard of Lucca, but we wanted to climb the leaning tower of Pisa and Lucca is close by. We spent the first day of the weekend in Pisa and got to Lucca at about 4 in the afternoon. There was a large organised run happening over the weekend which led to an already touristy town being rather packed.
We checked in to the lovely hostel we were staying in, bought food from a supermarket and had a bench picnic, then wondered around trying to find somewhere with a bit of atmosphere. Lucca is quiet after dark!













The next day, after breakfast of coffee in the most beautiful enclosed piazza, we climbed towers, walked along the fortified walls that surround the town, had amazing food at a confusing restaurant/ take away, ate fancy chocolate and wondered into huge churches that contained a mummified skeleton on display and a decorated black Jesus.

 
 

 
 


8 comments:

  1. wow, this looks amazing. i've never been to italy, although i can certainly relate to having itchy feet! your life seems adventurous and wonderful :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a really lovely trip. My day to day life is not very exciting but I make having adventures a high priority

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow! You have such fantastic travels. I could get lost walking though a town like that. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a devine adventure. I so badly want to make my way to Europe. I am planning a European adventure for next year and I cant wait. I am so glad you shared these lovely prints with all of us so that we can be inspired like you. xx. Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, if you get the chance to go I'd suggest combining Lucca and Pisa, they're only about 40 minutes away from each other and so beautiful. Lucca really feels like a bit of a rest from travelling as its so peaceful

      Delete
  4. Those pictures are amazing... they make me miss Italy so much.

    ReplyDelete