Friday 13 July 2012

North Berwick

This gorgeous fishing village on the east coast of Scotland not far from Edinburgh has featured large in my family's history.
My maternal Grandmother grew up here, my mother and uncle spent all their summer holidays here and learnt to swim in the outdoor, sea fed pool. We went on several family holidays here too when I was a child.
I visited again last November, it had probably been 10 years since I'd last been.
There have been several changes; the outdoor swimming pool where previous  Olympic athletes had swum has been demolished and concreted over. It is currently being used as parking for small boats and alsohouses the National Sea Bird Centre. I feel like its a cliché to quote the song and not quite accurate. The old swimming pool couldn't be used year round whereas the Sea Bird centre has more appeal and can be used by a wider range of people.

My favourite thing about North Berwick has always been the sea though. Looking out towards the several small islands including the Bass Rock and watching all the varieties of sea birds and people enjoying the beach, well its pretty great.












No comments:

Post a Comment