Tuesday 2 April 2013

Whatever happened to Fruity February?


February feels like so long ago. As I type I realise, February is ages ago, we're now in April.  Weeks and weeks ago, months even, at the beginning of February I set myself a challenge of eating 10 portions of fruit and veg a day. I followed up after the first week and then it all got a bit quiet. I'm afraid to say I failed dismally, but I did learn a bit about my eating habits and what works for me.
I don't talk about my job very often partly because it's quite uncertain. I work as a supply teacher, sometimes I'll be in a school for a few months and other times I'll be there for a day or half a day. This can make life quite hard to plan for at times.
This effected how successful I was at my February challenge. While I was working full time or at least nearly full time, planning what I would eat was easy and fitting in all the fruit and veg I wanted to eat was relatively unchallenging. Then I had two weeks off. I was hoping for only one week as holiday but as I work over three different local education authority areas there were two weeks where there wasn't much work. The first week I still woke up and was ready to work and had none booked in. This can get a bit frustrating as I can't plan to do anything else. I find myself eating due to boredom and not planning what I'm going to eat. This week was also combined with my dad's birthday, pancake day, meeting up with several friends, and Chinese New Year. I couldn't plan as easily as I  like to and, so, basically, I gave up.
 I did really enjoy setting myself this challenge and I did feel that eating much more fruit and vegetables was beneficial. I've learnt that I like to be able to plan what I eat and to then stick to that plan.
I think I might try to have a ten a day day each week and I definitely feel that I'm thinking more about what I eat, which is what this was about really.
I gave myself a different challenge for March which I'll share more on later
Do you set yourself monthly goals or challenges? What about New Years resolutions anyone still keeping up with those?

2 comments:

  1. Love the light in that last picture! And these are making me want some fruit!

    http://www.meredithsledgeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fruit and veg and definitely like to have 5 or 6 a day at a minimum. It makes you feel a lot better than eating a load of carbs! and fruit is a great snack :) x

    ReplyDelete